I know I don’t drink green tea as often as I should. I’ve just heard it’s good for my health and that there are some benefits, but other than that, I don’t know much about it. I just know it helps. So I decided to look into it, discover and understand what is so good about green tea..
This is what I found out about the miraculous green tea.
It originated in China and it has been used as a medicine for thousands of years.
The difference between green tea and black tea is in the way they are processed. Green tea is less processed (made from unfermented leaves) and so it retains the highest concentration of powerful antioxidants.
The big secret? It’s all about the antioxidants (polyphenols) and their powerful effect on the body; they protect cells and molecules from damage.
These are some of the green tea benefits:
- It improves brain function and makes us smarter – I like that! The combination of caffeine and L-theanine is very potent at improving brain function.
- It increases metabolism and intensifies fat burning, therefore it can help you lose weight and it is especially effective at reducing abdominal fat.
- The powerful antioxidants it contains may protect against cancer – breast, colorectal and prostate.
- Green tea may reduce the risk of both Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s due to the protective bioactive compounds.
- It lowers your bad cholesterol(LDL), while leaving the good cholesterol (HDL) untouched, so it reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- It can lower the risk of infection and improves dental health. It’s been shown that some common antibiotics were more effective when taken with green tea.
- It also causes mild reduction in blood sugar levels and lowers the risk of type II diabetes.
- Overall, because it reduces the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease it helps you live longer and healthier.
Well, now I will just have to add that the effects are not dramatic. If you have a heart condition, a bad infection, diabetes or high blood pressure, just check with your doctor. Don’t expect a few cups of tea per day to miraculously solve any health problem. But at the same time, I believe that anything natural that helps improve one’s health is a good thing.
Because it’s so versatile, there are so many ways to prepare green tea: iced or hot, with honey, lemon and mint. You can infuse some iced berries for added flavor, or mix it with peach or pineapple juice. Anything would work!
Do you usually drink green tea? Did you know about so many benefits of green tea?