Have you ever wondered if you are happy? Have you ever asked yourself if maybe, something is missing? Aren’t you sure? It’s easy to know when you are really unhappy. But do you know if you are happy?
Well, the thing is we are actually happier than we believe we are, but we just don’t realize it, we are not mindful of it, or we are simply afraid to admit it. When you admit you are happy, you attract good vibes and happy people. When you are surrounded by happy people, you radiate more positivity and more optimism.
Besides, happiness feels great!
I compiled a list – a powerful reminder – with signs you are doing better than you think. You just have to look on the bright side, acknowledge, and recognize these signs.
- You are content with your reality.
- You want other people to be happy.
- You paid your bills this month.
- You have a few good friends. I used to worry about the number of my friends, but as I age, I realize that, at the end of the day, you only need a couple of close, happy and inspiring people around you. The kind of people that you just feel safe and connected with, and are a joy to be around. Having a happy friend increases your probability of being happy.
- You sing in the shower and enjoy listening to your favorite playlist.
- You look people in the eye when you talk to them.
- You genuinely smile often and from the inside. Just because.
- You have a job that allows you to eat, drink, and pay the bills.
- You believe in yourself. You know how to rely on your inner emotional, physical, and intellectual resources, and you can take care of your needs. You refuse to give up on yourself.
- You have time to do the things you love.
- You are not in pain.
- You can afford to buy a coffee, ride the bus, or put gas in your car.
- You have a sense of purpose and understand that it is more about giving, not getting. It’s what gives you the strength to carry on and fight for your ideas. You have a dream and work toward a goal. You are interested in something and you want to explore more, like a happier life or a better relationship.
- You get enough sleep. A low-stress level promotes a good night’s sleep.
- You have clothes to wear – you could even donate some of them.
- You live in the present, instead of dwelling in the past or worrying about the future. You are fully engaged in what you are doing, you are more aware of what is happening around you and you value your experiences more.
- You have a space of your own: a house, a room, a corner, or a desk where you can create, express, or rest.
- You are grateful. You recognize and focus on your gifts and on what you have instead of what you don’t have. You realize how blessed you are with what you have.
- You bounce back. Even when your happiness level changes or drops in response to life events, you have the ability to easily and naturally return to your baseline level of well-being or contentment.
- You understand that you have all the reasons to be happy and you just ARE happy.
You should never forget that life is filled with simple pleasures and these are all gifts that you should celebrate in your own way. After all, you might be much happier than you think.
How do you know you are happy? What are your signs? Let me know in the comments below.
For more tools and resources on happiness check out my Resources page.
Julie is Hostess At Heart says
Great list Ana! I know I’m happy because I look forward to jumping out of bed each morning and starting my day.
That’s the best measure of your happiness! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Jen Seislove says
I really enjoyed reading this! I am right there with you regarding friends. Quality over quantity!
Leah Weber says
These are all wonderful reminders of how the Lord provides for us and how we should be happy about all the blessings we have!
That’s so true! Thank you for reading, Leah.
Great list, its uplifting to see such a positive post! I wake up every morning being thankful for having a roof over my head, especially in the wake of all these devastating natural disasters!
That’s so true! We should never take anything for granted.:-)
Divya @ Eat. Teach. Blog. says
A lot of these things definitely do make me happy 🙂 I do firmly believe that happiness looks different for each person!
I totally agree with you! We just have to recognize the things that make us happy.:-)
Lauren Sheriff says
These are great reminders here! Thanks for sharing!
I love this article so much. I think sometimes people can get down on themselves and focus on what they don’t have. Your approach makes so much more sense – if you simply focus on what you DO have, there is so much to feel happy about. Even when times are tough if we kind a way to remember the positivity and blessings in our life, then it does help.
I think we have to train our brain to always look for the positive. Thanks for stopping by and for your gracious comment, Yolanda! 🙂
This list was a really great reminder for me! Thank you!
I love this list! I hit almost every one at some point. You’re right. So much is just recognizing what is around us and looking for the positive. I’ve always been a pretty positive person.
Wonderful post Ana! I completely agree. 😀
What a unique post! It’s so important to be grateful for what we have, and the focus on gratefulness tends to make us happier overall. I love your list – it would be a good one to print out and refer to frequently!