Have you ever wondered if you are happy? Have you ever asked yourself if maybe, something is missing? Aren’t you sure? It’s easy to know when you are really unhappy. But do you know if you are happy?
Well, the thing is we are actually happier than we believe we are, but we just don’t realize it, we are not mindful of it, or we are simply afraid to admit it. When you admit you are happy, you attract good vibes and happy people. When you are surrounded by happy people, you radiate more positivity and more optimism.
Besides, happiness feels great!
I compiled a list – a powerful reminder – with signs you are doing better than you think. You just have to look on the bright side, acknowledge, and recognize these signs.
- You are content with your reality.
- You want other people to be happy.
- You paid your bills this month.
- You have a few good friends. I used to worry about the number of my friends, but as I age, I realize that, at the end of the day, you only need a couple of close, happy and inspiring people around you. The kind of people that you just feel safe and connected with, and are a joy to be around. Having a happy friend increases your probability of being happy.
- You sing in the shower and enjoy listening to your favorite playlist.
- You look people in the eye when you talk to them.
- You genuinely smile often and from the inside. Just because.
- You have a job that allows you to eat, drink, and pay the bills.
- You believe in yourself. You know how to rely on your inner emotional, physical, and intellectual resources, and you can take care of your needs. You refuse to give up on yourself.
- You have time to do the things you love.
- You are not in pain.
- You can afford to buy a coffee, to ride the bus, or to put gas in your car.
- You have a sense of purpose and understand that it is more about giving, not getting. It’s what gives you strength to carry on and fight for your ideas. You have a dream and work toward a goal. You are interested in something and you want you explore more, like a happier life or a better relationship.
- You get enough sleep. A low stress level promotes a good night’s sleep.
- You have clothes to wear – you could even donate some of them.
- You live in the present, instead of dwelling in the past or worrying about the future. You are fully engaged in what you are doing, you are more aware of what is happening around you and you value your experiences more.
- You have a space of your own: a house, a room, a corner, or a desk where you can create, express, or rest.
- You are grateful. You recognize and focus on your gifts and on what you have instead of what you don’t have. You realize how blessed you are with what you have.
- You bounce back. Even when your happiness level changes or drops in response to life events, you have the ability to easily and naturally return to your baseline level of well-being or contentment.
- You understand that you have all the reasons to be happy and you just ARE happy.
You should never forget that life is filled with simple pleasures and these are all gifts that you should celebrate in our own way. After all, you might be much happier than you think.
How do you know you are happy? What are your signs? Let me know in the comments below.
For more tools and resources on happiness check out my Resources page.