“Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they didn’t stop to enjoy it.” – William Feather
I know that a trip to Paris or winning the lottery would make everyone happy, but you shouldn’t wait for that to happen to be happy. Look around you – there are so many things that bring you joy right in front of you. A sunny day, a compliment, a phone call from a friend, a childhood memory, good laughter, and a glass of wine can brighten your day.
Keeping a happiness list makes me realize, again and again, how lucky I am to be where I am today and it reminds me to be grateful for all the blessings in my life. There is so much positivity in remembering the things that make me happy!
This is my list of things that make me happy:
- sunshine – I thrive on sunshine
- bright colors
- the smell of freshly trimmed grass
- my son’s eyes
- good memories
- a good laugh – about anything and anytime
- days at the beach
- flowers, lots of flowers
- writing a list of things that make me happy
- cuddling with hubby
- everyday sunrise and tangerine sunsets
- finishing and publishing a post for my blog
- time to do whatever I want
- long weekends
- blue skies
- a few minutes of solitude
- mojito with homegrown mint and lemon
- a good book
- finishing a task ahead of time and crossing it off my to-do list
- dancing, joking, and laughing myself silly
- a puppy
- the smell of clean, fresh sheets
- driving and singing along
- being grateful
- the smell of a homegrown tomato
- lists, notebooks, and planners – the more the better
- cutting my hubby’s hair
- the feeling of a job well done
- my Mac – love it!
- Irish butter on fresh, crusty bread
- being tired at night and taking a shower
- my clean, bright house when the morning sun invades my kitchen
- the smell of new books – I’m addicted; it reminds me of the presents of my childhood
- boiled eggs on Saturday morning
- red-painted toenails
- my first sip of coffee in the morning
- the smell of grated lemon zest
- spectacular Florida thunderstorms
- taking an afternoon nap during rain
- Fridays, because they announce the weekend
- the beach and the ocean
- the smell of my night blooming jasmine invading my bedroom
- learning something new
- the pleasant smell of dust during rain
- the moment my head hits the pillow at night
- my mother’s voice on the phone
- foot massages
- the palm trees in front of my upstairs bedroom window
- fresh bananas from my backyard
I hope that sharing this list with you will inspire you to take a break and pay attention to all the blessings in your life. I encourage you to start keeping a happiness list, and maybe you’ll want to share it with me by leaving a link in the comments below.
So, what are the things that make you happy?
Julie is Hostess At Heart says
Wonderful list Ana! One day I’m going to share one of those Mojitos with you!
One, or two, or three… I can’t wait, Julie! 🙂
I thrive in sunshine too. I am not looking forward to it getting dark at 4:00pm here in the winter months. Very inspiring list!
Thank you, Eden. 🙂
The Olive Blogger says
Ohhh I loved this! <3 It really shows how the simple things can make us sooo happy! I too love a good book, good laugh, the smell of clean sheets and flowers (uhh heck ya!)! You've inspired me to start a gratitude board on the fridge, so everyday I can write something new!
Great! It totally changes your perspective. 🙂
Lisa Arcelia says
Hi Ana! How wonderful that you live by the ocean! I love so many things on your list. I am personally going through a challenging time in my life because my son is depressed, but this is even more reason to keep my focus on good things. Here is my happiness list for today: that it’s my day off and I get to be around my son, my dog and his soft ears, going to the gym, a hug from an old friend today, that the leaves are starting to turn and fall is coming, my morning meditation outside in the sun, and connecting with friends online, like you 🙂
Aww, so many beautiful things, Lisa! Sending you and your son good vibes and a biiiiig hug! 🙂
What a great list to make! There are a lot of things on your list that would be on mine! Tomorrow I is my first day back with students (I teach second grade). I am putting this on my to do for tomorrow night. I will feel exhausted, but I think that doing this activity will feel really great!
Writing a list like this automatically changes your mood and your perspective. I’m glad you decided to give it a try! 🙂
Kristal Marie says
What a fun list, great idea! Lots of things on your list would be on mine too, I will add, slowing down with a day to just rest with the ones I love!
Resting with a loved one is also such a lovely thing to do! 🙂
Nine Cent Girl says
Today I enjoyed a few of your favorites, which are a few of mine: #1,11,12,13, 15, 16, 19, 43 & 50. Pretty great day I’d say!! Thanks for keeping us smiling, xxoo
Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and for your always gracious comments! Big hug! 🙂
Chasa Fulkerson says
This is such a great idea! Especially if we get down, we should just make a list like this. I love how you can go in you backyard and get a banana!
Writing or reading a happiness list totally changes your perspective. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Um…are you listing your happy list or mine? LOL Sunshine, flowers, day at the beach, fresh cut grass…seriously are we twins separated at birth? Love this! The smell of new books, oh yeah! This list makes me smile!
Haha, “twins separated at birth” – you never know, Nikki! I’m glad my list made you smile. Thanks for stopping by! Have a lovely weekend! 🙂