I don’t think we have to try hard to be happy. We can be happy, and it is easier than you think. Make a conscious decision to be happy and act on it. Whenever you feel overly negative focus on all the blessings you have to be grateful for: health, family, friends and accomplishments.
I like to think of happiness as a muscle – the more you work on it, the stronger it becomes. And like with any routine, the more you practice it, the better you get to it.
I created a list with simple ways to intentionally infuse your life with self-love and positivity:
- Fall in love with the same person, over and over again. Say I love you to the people in your life more often. 🙂
- Create positive affirmations and read them aloud every morning. Make a list and write down your qualities. Never say “I’m tired”, “I’m sick”, or “I’m sleepy”.
- Focus on the positive. Intentionally change your mindset; listen to uplifting music and podcasts and read uplifting books. Avoid negativity; take a break from news.
- Trust your intuition.
- Learn to love yourself. Spend some time each day nurturing your body, mind and soul, reward yourself for your progress, and celebrate your successes.
- Choose to be with people that love you, inspire you and lift you up.
- Watch what you eat and drink – be mindful.
- Relax; spend time alone and focus on your own breath. Try meditation. Take five to ten minutes and let the positive feelings wash over you.
- Go outside and smile in the sunshine. Sun and fresh air do the body and mind good.
- Laugh every day.
- Do something nice for someone else. Perform a random act of kindness – buy someone a cup of coffee or lunch, and donate things, clothes or books you don’t use anymore.
- Enjoy solitude and appreciate silence. It allows you to get in touch with your emotions, to find answers to bigger questions and to get a deeper insight into what really makes you happy.
- Grow by challenging yourself; learn something new. Sign up for that class you’ve been wanting to take.
- Go for a walk with your loved ones.
- Give yourself permission to slow down, put your phone away and snuggle up with a good book.
- Spend time with your friends.
- Create a happy, peaceful environment for yourself. Spring clean your workspace; a clean, basic, organized desk is the best.
- Always, always carry a smile. Focus on being nicer and kinder. Spread joy by sincerely complimenting people and offer your help. You will get more smiles and more happiness in return.
- Practice gratitude – set aside some time to reflect on the things in your life you are most thankful for. Write lists with things and people you are grateful for.
- Wake up early, at least once a month, and watch the sunrise.
- Go on a hike with your camera and take pictures of whatever inspires you.
- Forgive – it totally, genuinely, utterly heals your heart. Don’t dwell on bitterness and resentment.
- Go to bed early. Getting enough sleep is one of the most important things you can do for your mind and body.
As you exercise regularly to improve your physical health, start exercising your “happiness muscle” by cultivating positive habits. After all, you become good at what you practice.
Choose to be happy – and BE! You deserve it!
How do you stay happy? If you have more ideas, leave them in a comment and I will add them to the list.