There are a few things you can do in the morning that can have a significant impact on the rest of your day. One of them is to add more mindfulness into your life by starting your day slowly and on a positive note even before getting out of bed. It’s a five minute practice that will help you focus your mind and ease into your day with more clarity and positivity. Remember that your thoughts create your emotions, your emotions create your actions, your habits, and, in the end, your destiny. Since you have total control over your thoughts, you have the power to start every day on a positive note and with the right mindset. Make your morning amazing and the rest of your day will be amazing, and you will feel happier and more productive.
Besides, remember that every day is an amazing gift and it’s up to you to make it count.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
There are a few simple things you can do before you even get out of bed that will help you wake up happier:
- Set your alarm to a soft, soothing, and gentle music, and five minutes earlier than you usually wake up.
- Don’t rush out of bed like a cannonball thinking about all the things you have to do. Open your eyes and resist the urge to rush.
- Start your day with intention and with a big smile. Just smile. Without any reason. Just because. Or if you need a reason, think about how lucky you are to wake up, in a comfortable bed, with someone you love and feel safe, or just by yourself. You are given a whole new day to fulfill your dreams, to do what you love, and to be with people who love you. It’s a new beginning, another chance for you to do better and to be better.
- As you slowly start waking up, think about what you can hear, see, smell, and feel.
- Stay in bed and tune in to your senses. Notice what you can hear and take in the soothing sounds. Listen to any outside noises. Scan your room in the dark, look for the windows and see how bright – or not – the daylight is. Keep smiling.
- Focus on your breath and take in 10 deep breath. Notice the gentle rise and fall of your chest. Breathe in positivity, love, and yellow sunlight, and breath out worries, fear, and tension.
- Bring awareness to your body and notice how it feels: your feet, your head on the pillow, the warmth and the softness of the blanket. Stretch your legs and appreciate the comfort and the warmth of your bed. Enjoy how comfortable you are. Keep smiling.
- Think with excitement about the things you want to accomplish that day and about the people you are going to meet and interact with. See yourself succeeding in whatever you plan on doing. And smile…
Keep smiling because it’s Wednesday (or Monday, or Friday).
Keep smiling because you don’t have any pain.
Keep smiling because you have a warm bed and a soft pillow.
Keep smiling because it’s Fall (or Spring, or Summer)
Keep smiling because you have a brand new day in front of you.
Keep smiling because you have a few good friends. Take a moment to consider everything good in your life – people and things, and everything that makes you happy.
Try these tips over the next few days and notice the difference. It is just a habit – the more you practice it, the easier it will be for you to do it. It will not only help you wake up quickly, easily and completely, but you will wake up happy and refreshed, ready to greet the day with joy and excitement.
How do you usually start your day? let me know in the comments below if you have any tips.
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d send it by email to a friend or share it on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. Thank you!
For more tools and resources on happiness and mindfulness check out my Resources page.