We all dream of having a house, but there is a significant difference between a house of brick or wood and a home. A home is the place where we create happy memories, we love, and we raise our children. It is the place where we feel safe, we find solace and comfort. It is the warm and inviting place that makes us feel like… well, home. Making a home doesn’t require expensive furniture or color coordinated bookshelves because it is always the special things and the people that totally transform a house.
In fact, your home is the people you share it with and their love, and the memories you make: every morning coffee, every celebration, every quiet afternoon, every pie baked and shared, and every experience of a life well-lived. It has to be the place where you feel totally safe, at peace, and as blissful as you’d expect.
There are several small changes you can do to make your home your heaven.
- Try to always have fresh flowers or grow plants – they purify the air and improve your health. Plus, watching a plant grow will bring you so much joy!
- Fix things that are broken: a faucet, a drawer, or a light bulb. It will improve your mood and make you feel better.
- Clean your house and keep it clean. Get in the habit of cleaning daily for 10-15 minutes. Make it pleasant and do it with patience. Don’t think of it as a chore. Shift your focus and think of it as a transformation you enjoy.
- Organize your kitchen gadgets, your closets, and your bathrooms. It saves time and eliminates stress.
- Surround yourself with what makes you happy. The things that make you smile will give your guests a sense of what you find beautiful when they walk in the door. Display photos of people you love, paintings and sculptures that speak to you and you relate to. It will definitely boost your happiness.
- Donate things you haven’t used in years: clothes, books, or even small furniture pieces you save in your garage. Let the old things go. Someone in need is going to use them. Plus, it will create space and it will make you feel liberated.
- If you have a secret passion like cooking fill your house with cooking gadgets and cookbooks. If you love the ocean and the beach, make your own oasis with shells and ocean colors. If you like forests and mountains, bring them close to you with some pine cones, few rocks and some essential oils. It will recharge your batteries and you will feel like you just came back from your vacation.
Explore yourself and pay attention to your needs. Try to find the right balance between the outer world and your inner world, and your home will become the reflection of the most positive version of yourself.